Slate ROOFING REPAIRS & REPLACEMENTS, IN NY
SERVICING MANHATTAN, THE BRONX, QUEENS, STATEN ISLAND, BROOKLYN AND YONKERS
Slate ROOFING IN NEW YORK CITY
- 50 Years our family has lived in New York and for 25 years we have been repairing and replacing roofs. When a client from NYC hires Skyward Roofing, not only are you getting a very experienced Roofer but a long-time member of the community. Supporting your local community uplifts, us all.
- Slate roofing appears as beautiful unpolished dense smooth rock with a cleft surface displaying a wonderful swirling color shade variation throughout the roof. It is mostly grey in color but depending upon origin (mineral composition is different from various regions) other colors will be prominent. The sheen can be matte or lustrous, like a pearl, when the slate contains mica. For information on roofing services offered in the Bronx click here!
- When you need an appraisal for a Slate roof leak repair, roof replacement or new roof in NYC, contact us for a free roof inspection, we will quickly schedule, at your convenience, a time to meet and discuss your roofing needs. During the roof inspection, we will discuss options for repair, replacement or a completely new roof system including explaining possible obstacles and their solutions. Within a short period of time, we will complete our costs calculations and provide you with a written estimate detailing what will be done, what materials will be used and how long it will take.
Slate Roof Repairs
- Most leaks in slate roofs are caused by broken or missing tiles or deteriorated flashing. Most often flashing will deteriorate long before the slate itself and in such cases, restoration will mean replacing all the metal parts on the roof including damaged roofing deck. Should you have a few bad slates they only have to be pulled and replaced with good ones. The biggest mistake a property owner can make is waiting to call a roofing contractor until there are several broken or missing slate tiles. Even one cracked or broken slate tile can allow water infiltration that will damage the roof deck. For information on roofing services offered in Queens click here!
- Commercial Slate Roof Repair or Replacement for churches, historical government buildings, universities and historical homes should be accomplished with slate tile of the same origin as the original- Skyward Roofing will not use an inferior grade of slate on our roof repairs or replacements.
Slate Roof Replacements
- Most importantly, slate roofs require an expert to install them for several reasons: Slate tiles can’t be walked on so roof scaffolding or roof brackets (brackets that hold long 6-inch-wide boards across the slate tiled roof) must be used. Slates that are walked on may break apart immediately or suffer an invisible fracture that 5 to 10 years later cracks- giving rise to a roof that does not shed water. The roof decking must last as long as the slate roughly 150 years or more. Tried and proven material are lumber boards from ¾ inch to 1/5-inch-thick rough-sawn, planed or tongue-in-grooved from a variety of hard woods. Plywood, laminated woods, particle boards, and materials that rely on glue for structural integrity are sub-standard roof decking materials for slate roofs and should not be used as they will decay many years before the slate will. Also, the roof must be structured to handle the heavy weight (800 to 1,500 lbs. per 100 sq. feet) or roof collapse at some point will befall the inhabitants.
- Inspection needs to be directed by experienced slate roofers because they preform tests that require knowledge of what a sound slate tile sounds like when it is tapped on versus a decaying slate tile. However, if you see any white powder on the tiles that will give an indication of minerals leaching from the slate. Mineral leaching will indicate that the slate tile was inferior from the beginning or you truly have a very old roof that has spent decades weathering. A few years back some roofers were importing slate tiles from china which are often much softer than American slates. Sadly, people didn’t realize the distinction till the premature decay of their new slate roofs.
- Finally, the free estimate will be derived from information gathered from our experts’ inspection, your directives (within code regulations), the number of roof penetrations needing new flashing, and any special requirements or equipment needed to correctly install a sound long lasting roof, such as a very steep roof, awkward access and others.