Roofing Contractor Manhattan NY
Living in the Upper East Side of Manhattan or anywhere on the Island and need an honest, reliable Roofing Contractor? Contact Skyward Roofing, we are close neighbors that desire to provide Budget Friendly Roof Repairs that correct all problems or Visually Stunning Roof Replacements in any roofing style desired. We provide flat roofing services, residential and commercial, asphalt shingle, metal roofing and more. We also offer Polyurea Waterproofing- a major help in reversing water damage.
We work with developers, home restoration builders, co-op and condo associations and commercial property owners to offer roof replacement services for Brownstones, Apartment buildings and Lofts. All specifications are followed to the standards required for each type of roof by the industry and government regulations. Safety of the buildings dwellers is a paramount consideration of ours that we will not compromise.
A property owner will, at some point, have to replace a failing roof. Although a roof replacement is costly and time consuming, it does provide necessary defense against wind, heat, rain, sleet, snow and the creatures that fly or crawl. Building safe, durable, energy efficient and attractive roofs is our commitment that we are honor-bound to provide our clients.
- There are four basic roof shapes:
- A Shed roof is like a lean-too because it uses one pitch for the entire structure. Historically these roofs have been used for smaller buildings like sheds, garages and porches. These roofs can be torn off in high winds unless properly reinforced. Secondly, if the pitch of the roof is too high, you will lose space on the lower end of the dwelling.
- A Gable roof is the most popular roofing style in the US. The roof forms a triangle over the building sort of a combination of two shed roofs meeting in the middle to form a peak. A simple inexpensive roof to build that will easily shed precipitation. However, in high wind areas they should be strengthen to prevent lift off.
- A Hipped roof is like a Pyramid with all four sides of the roof meeting in a high point. This type is great for all types of extreme weather. Heavy winds and snowfall can’t do much to hurt this roof but it is a bit costlier to build since it is more difficult and requires more material to build.
- A Flat Roof is great if you want to make use of more space within the dwelling and a rooftop terrace or garden can be easily prepared for. However, they do require upkeep since without of much of a pitch they can quickly gather debris and heavy snow amounts. They can also be torn off in high winds unless properly tied down or reinforced.
- There are many styles of roofs that will combine or alter these shapes for larger homes.
- Asphalt Shingles: Sometimes called composition shingles, about 80% of all pitched roofs in the USA are covered with these.
- 3-Tab Shingles: These shingles are composed of one flat layer and do not have a dimensional look to them. They are the least expensive type of roofing and are the thinnest type of asphalt shingles so they do not carry the same lifespan of the stronger ones.
- Dimensional Shingles: These shingles are a thicker version of asphalt’s 3-Tab fiberglass type. The additional layers are sculpted to show shadow lines giving the roof more of an artistic look. Plus, the extra thickness increases their life expectancy to 40 years.
- Premium Shingles: These Shingles are made to resemble more expensive roofing materials like slate, clay and cedar. They generally come with a lifetime warranty.
- The most expensive roofing option to install is Slate which has a very beautiful unpolished stone look offered in a large variety of colors, such as gray green, purple, black, red, and a combination mottled look with several colors blended in.
- Lifespan: They have been known to last 175 years or more- depends on the experience of the installers.
- Slate roofs require an expert to install for several reasons: Because slate tiles can’t be walked on, roof scaffolding must be used. Slate tiles that are walked on may break apart immediately or 5 to 10 years later- giving rise to a roof that does not shed water.
- Those who want a slate roof should get proof of the roofer’s expertise with slate as well as learn a little about the process themselves so they can oversee the project. Also, the roof must be structured to handle the heavy weight (800 to 1,500 lbs. per 100 sq. feet) or roof collapse at some point will befall the inhabitants.
- The cost of slate roofing tile is about 1,000 to 4,000 per square which makes it 5 to 7 times as expensive as an asphalt shingled roof.
- When an asphalt shingled roof has reached the grand old age of 20 or more years it has pretty much outlived its functioned usefulness. You will probably see balding in some spots on the shingles, cracking, broken, and perhaps missing shingles apparent all over the roof- this really screams replace.
- Shingles curling and buckling indicate inadequate venting from the attic has allowed the buildup moisture and excessive heat causing the shingles to age quickly beyond their effectiveness. If you have ever taken a trip up to your attic to retrieve a stored item during a hot and the heat and humidity were awful and were glad to get back to your air-conditioned space. All that heat and humidity caught in your attic space is very hard on your roof and will lead to its premature failure. Venting is very important to the longevity of your roofing system.
- If the damage is restricted to a small section of the roof- perhaps a flashing around a vent pipe is leaking a repair of the flashing may be all that’s needed. Timely maintenance is perhaps one of the most important functions that can be done to get the maximum life span out of a roof- stop leaks early before mold and rot sets in much less will need to be done for a repair.
- Roof leaks are a most unwelcome problem for a business because inventory and store contents can be ruined. Roof leaks occur along flashings, seams, storm damage to membranes and punctures along high traffic areas (sometimes employees will use the flat roof as a work space). Blisters quite often develop in Built-up roofs. If they are small ones’, intervention may not be required only a watchful eye. However, large blisters or ridges beneath the surface are a warning sign something is wrong and corrective action should be taken. Periodic roof inspections carried out on a preventative maintenance program offered by Skyward Roofing can provide maintenance that will forestall preventable emergency failures or leaks.
- Residential roof leaks: Sloped roofs rely on gravity to keep the water flowing down off the shingles or tiles. Thus, leaks occur mostly around perorations for vent stacks, chimneys, skylights or along valleys. We repair and maintain all types of sloped roofs ceramic tiles, asphalt shingles, wood shake, metal and slate as quickly and as budget friendly as we can. If your roof is leaking, give us a call sooner than later because with time the hole gets larger causing further sometimes irreparable damage. When water gains a path into your home, it gives rise to rot in wood studs and mold spores which are all around us build colonies- then the stink sets in. Don’t just put a bucket under those roof leaks- multiple hazards to your dwelling arrives with one small leak.
Commercial Flat Roofing
Most large warehouses or supply stores have flat roofs because air conditioners, duct work, sprinklers, pipes, exhaust vents can be placed on the roof to increase usable space within the building. These roofs need to be regularly inspected to clean off blown on debris, deploy pest control, check for ponding, and to clear drains. The Flat business roofs we repair or replace are TPO membrane, metal roofing, EDPM or Rubber membrane and spray polyurethane foam.
- Emergency Roofing Repairs: A roof leak can cause many problems within a business, such as ruined inventory, damage to inner walls, possible mold growth, and ruined carpet. A wet spot on the drop ceiling can quickly turn into an ever-widening puddle of disaster to your revenue. Skyward Roofing has emergency teams on standby that we can send rapidly to your place of business in effort to stop or reduce secondary property damage. Their first act will be to make a temporary roof repair that will hold till a permanent one can be placed. Most flat roofs contain a minor incline to drain water but it is so slight that any repair not done correctly may pond water rather than let it drain slowly to the drain ports.
- Our Commercial Roof Inspectors are promoted from a selection of employees that have a long history of experience in the roofing industry including mechanical knowledge of building maintenance issues. Our roof inspectors will walk the entire roof looking for deteriorated sealants, rooftop equipment maintenance issues, tears in membrane, debris, and a host of other common or uncommon problems. Photographs of roof faults or potential failures will be taken to aid understanding and will be included in the written assessment.
- The written assessment of the building’s roof will explain the reliability of the roof’s system and bring to awareness any potential failures. Also, it will promote budget friendly repairs to the roof faults including any maintenance upgrades that could substantially slow further deterioration of the roofs system. The roof assessment is free of charges and any commitments.
- In Manhattan, we have many historical buildings, such as Brownstones, churches, governmental and museums with awesome ornate roofs. No matter how beautiful the form or design pattern of the historical roof, it is still a very vulnerable element of shelter that will fail at some time. A poor broken historical roof will accelerate the deterioration of other historical building materials, such as masonry, wood, plaster, murals and a general decay of the structure. For these reasons, action must be taken quickly to get a temporary patch in place before any historical restoration is undertaken.
- When contacted for a free consultation, Skyward Roofing makes a complete external and internal inspection of an historical building to determine all the causes of failure and to identify the options for restoration or replacement of the roofing. Full regard is maintained for the beautiful ornamentation that still exists on the roof- all will be done to ensure its safety.
- TPO is an acronym for the chemical composition of Thermoplastic Polyolefin. Thermoplastic means a material that softens when heated then hardens as it cools. This rubber like compound is extruded under heat and pressure into machines that will flatten and smooth the compound into a large 100-foot roll of a single ply membrane or sheet that can be anywhere from 6 to 12 feet wide. These sheets are then fitted to the prepared flat roof with seams between the sheets.
- What makes the membrane special is its white reflective laminated top because the Sun’s heat is reflected back to the atmosphere it will keep the building cooler- as much as 20 degrees. Very good savings during the hot days. The cold days can be helped with fiber insulation put down under the membrane that will insulate it with an R factor of about 6.
EDPM or Rubber membrane roofing
- EPDM Rubber- ethylene propylene diene monomer is used to create a rubberized roofing membrane sold in a range of widths of 7.5 to 50 feet and in 2 thickness, 45 and 60 mils. It can be installed as one complete membrane or one with seams connected with adhesives or specially formulated tape.
Metals roofs, in the not so distance past, brought a vision of rusted metal panels on barns or storage sheds, standing seam commercial application or a bumpy tin metal roof on a rather ramshackle shack. In modern times, they have several styles that look like sleek smooth metal tiles or panels, cedar wood shakes or shingles, clay tile and slate tile. There are so many styles available they are readily used on tall skyscrapers to modest country homes.
- Homes, Churches, Industrial Complexes, Businesses... many buildings use metal roofing sheets made of steel, aluminum, or copper. Metals' malleability is exploited by roofing manufacturers who produce a wide range of quality options for roofing material.
- Steel is fashioned into rolls of 24 or 26- gauge sheets.
- Aluminum sheets don’t need the rust protective coating but they do get painted.
- Copper is often called a natural metal as it is neither coated or painted because it weathers without rusting to a much-desired green patina.
- Metal shingles are usually made of common metals, such as galvanized steel, aluminum and to a lesser extent copper and zinc are manufactured with a stamping press. They come in many styles (natural slate or cedar) and colors. The low-profile shingle allows the roofer to walk on them during the installation without damage.
- Metal panels come in 3 options a foam insulation backed panel, exposed fastener and seamless interlocking panel. Speed of installation is quick especially with the larger panels.
- Polyurea coatings are the preferred top protective coating for a SPF roof. Together Polyurea coating with the energy efficient foam insulation layer on top of a flat roof will reduce energy bills and seal tight against leaks around flashings that are a weak point in other roofing systems. This coating will even protect against ponding of water which happens quite often on flat roofs. The spray is also formulated with non-fading UV resistant colors to avoid heat transfer into the dwelling below.
- Polyurea Waterproofing for basements and foundations: Many neighborhoods in New York City have very little wiggle room to spread out to build storage sheds in yards to store necessary yard tools, Christmas supplies, home repair tools… so we look to our basements for such storage. However, wet basements will cause rust to eat away at tools, mold to settle on treasured decorations and will only get worse the more we pack the area up. To keep our storage items safe from decay in our homes basements, we need to control water intrusion. Skyward Roofing has an affordable solution to dry out these basements and clean up the air quality in the rest of the home using methods design specifically for each homeowners’ unique situation.
- Estimates for Polyurea Waterproofing can be prepared in 24 hours, but sometimes in complex environments it may take a few days. We need this extra time to factor in additional methods to arrive at the same conclusion a dry basement or flat roof top. A detailed written report will be submitted personally, email or postal service (your choice). The estimate will explain what has to be done to provide a long-lasting waterproofing to correct all paths of moisture infiltration within a budget friendly format. We will not advise costly solutions when less costly ones are suitable.