Roof Replacements IN NEW YORK CITY
SERVICING MANHATTAN, THE BRONX, QUEENS, STATEN ISLAND, BROOKLYN AND YONKERS
- When an asphalt shingle roof reaches the grand old age of 15 to 20 years, it may be time to replace the roof. Old shingled roofs often have broken or missing shingles and most will have a great number of ceramic granules missing. Ceramic granules cover the surface of the shingle and protects it from UV rays and impacts. Roofs at this stage could already be leaking into dwelling they are protecting. Let one of NY best roofing contractors, Skyward Roofing, visit your property and develop a budget friendly roof replacement proposal for you.
- Common Reasons for Premature Asphalt Roof Failures requiring replacement: 1, Improperly installed flashing surrounding vents, pipes, skylights, and chimneys- quite often some less than respectable roofing contractors will cut corners and pile roofing tar around penetrations knowing full well it will degrade and crack up shortly. Number 2, Ventilation of the Attic is an important part of the Roof’s system and when not adequate will cause the roof to fail.
- Metal roofing is costlier that the least expensive asphalt roofing, but has a longer lifespan and better fire and wind resistance. Depending on the quality of the metal shingle and the installation, metal roofs can last 40 to 70 years- only slate lasts longer (70 or more years).
- Metal replacement roofing is a good lightweight option, unlike slate tile which would require strengthening of the roof trusses, made of steel, zinc alloy, copper or aluminum. Copper roofs are installed unfinished and eventually develop a green patina over time. Steel roofing commonly comes with a painted finish or zinc coating. Quite often homeowners and businesses can save money by installing a light weight metal roof over an old asphalt shingled without having to tear off the old roof- this may allow some clients the ability to afford a metal roof replacement.
- SPF (spray polyurethane foam) flat roofing replacements are attractive because the original roof does not need to be torn off rather it can be cleaned off and loose debris removed then the foam can be applied. A special sprayer combines 2 liquids as it's sprayed onto the original roof. The combination produces an expanding foam that will seal holes, gaps and seams as it's sprayed. The roofer will continue to spray foam in a covering pattern till foam covers the entire roof. The foam will harden within a day to a solid waterproof surface. The SPF roof will expand and contract with the building as it heats and cools reducing stress fractures. Warning- Proper training and is needed in the installation process because novice users generally leave ridges and valleys in the foam during application.