epdm ROOFING REPAIRS & REPLACEMENTS, IN NY
SERVICING MANHATTAN, THE BRONX, QUEENS, STATEN ISLAND, BROOKLYN AND YONKERS
EPDM Roofing in NYC
- EPDM Roofing is a very durable synthetic rubber roofing membrane, made out of ethylene propylene diene terpolymer, that is used on many commercial roofs across New York City. The membrane’s primary ingredients are derived from oil and natural gas so its cost will rise and fall with the energy market. The membranes are available in 2 colors black and white, widths ranging from 7.5 to 50 feet and in 2 thicknesses 45 and 60 mils. EPDM can be attached with adhesives to be fully adhered, mechanically attached special screws or ballasted (a few inches of rounded gravel on top to hold it in place. All methods of attachment will have seams of the roofing membrane sealed with liquid adhesives or specially formulated tape. For information on roofing services offered in Manhattan click here!
EPDM Installation or Replacement
- New EPDM membranes are usually rolled out carpet like on the rooftop and pulled flat and straight. The wider or the more monolithic the membrane the heavier it is to lift up to the roof and straighten out which is why strips of the membrane are also used (seams are sealed with special tape). Both types of colors (black and white) available for the membrane material resist sun damage. The white color is about 30% more expensive due to its heat-reflecting properties which is better for southern climates. Since this is like laying a quilt over a roof, it’s subject to wind damage- even going for a liftoff in high wind- very bad in New York City could hurt a lot of city walkers. The material has to be mechanically fasten with long screw like anchors, adhesive, or placing a layer of gravel on top to keep the public safe from large flying sheets of rubber. The average installation costs are $4 to $6 per square foot; thus a 4000-square foot office building would be on the lower end $16,000.
- 20 billion-plus square feet of EPDM membrane has been installed on roofs in the USA within the last 40 years so it’s likely many roofs will face replacement that requires the removal of the too damaged to repair membranes. EPDM can be removed, transported to a New York recycling facility and ground into a powder substance. The recycled product is used to make walkway pads for new or existing roofs to reduce the wear and tear on the permanent membrane.
EPDM Roof Repairs
- Maintenance done periodically is the best way to extend the life of your flat roof. Granted flat roof maintenance is easier to accomplish than a sloped roof but on a flat roof it has to happen more often as the roof is more likely to collect leaves, dirt, and whatever else the wind blows in. The debris must be swept off after every storm and the gutters cleaned often to avoid any standing water. EPDM roofs are well known to be durable enough to last 30 years or more so repairs are economical and well worth the effort. For information on roofing services offered in Brooklyn click here!
- EPDM does not become brittle over time from exposure to the sun like other membrane roofing systems. An EPDM membrane stays strong and flexible and can be modify easily when changes to a roof make it necessary, such as the installation of a new roof curb. Repairs to impact holes from sharp objects can accomplished with the expectation of long-term performance. Repairs require washing the membrane, preparing the surface (making sure its smooth), using the correct adhesive and finally applying a patch of EPDM. In many instances, an aged and damaged EPDM roofing system can be restored through repairs and coatings back into a reliable long-lasting system totally appropriate for NY.